Sunday, April 11, 2010

Seared equals Well done?!?!?!

I am in Albany, NY for the week for work. With no real dinner plans, I decided to hit the local Macaroni Grill where I know they have OK wine and a somewhat healthy entrée. I ordered the Scallops and Spinach Salad which I have enjoyed in the past. What I got this evening was nothing like the dish I was served a few months back.

The description on the menu is as follows: Seared seas scallops with fresh spinach wilted and tossed with aged prosciutto, roasted garlic, fresh lemon and extra virgin olive oil. Where do I begin? The scallops were far from seared and the spinach had not seen a source of heat since being opened from their plastic bag and dumped on my plate. However, the prosciutto along with the scallops spent a LOT of quality time with the fire. This was more like WELL done scallops with burnt prosciutto, roasted garlic and fresh spinach. I guess I should try to find something nice about the meal....the garlic was perfect.

All in all the night was not a complete bust. I had a 2008 Ruffino Pinot Grigio Lumina to accompanying the meal. This wine was quite a delight. Fruity on the palate and lightly effervescent. It retails around $10 a bottle (although I paid $7.49 a glass) making it quite a steal. Hopefully tonights meal was not a foreshadowing of meals to come this week on the road. Fingers crossed that lunch makes up for dinner tomorrow. Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment