Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Blister in the Sun

It has been a hot one in Maryland the last few days and today appears to be no different. One thing the hot weather has encouraged me to do is grill, grill, grill! Last night we did a portobello mushroom burger with a cucumber salad. The burger basically consists of a grilled portobello cap with a kalamata/tomato/feta/roasted red pepper mixture on top. Very easy to make and very tasty.

Tonight I am going to attempt crab cakes on the grill. I have done this numerous times inside on a grill pan, but never once on the grill outside. We shall see how my attempt goes. In addition, I am going to test freezing a few that have been cooked. Not sure how well they will freeze, but with the amount of crab meat I have and only 2 people eating, I gotta do something!

OK, let's see what has been going on in the wine department. Recently I tried the Barefoot Cuvee Brut. I have to admit for the price this is not a bad sparkling wine. Somewhat sweet, but can work well with a number of dishes. Also their Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc are excellent everyday whites and ~$7 a bottle, that can't be beat!

The other wine to note was a 2007 Sola Fred produced by Celler el Masroig in the Montsant region of Spain. I noticed one site described this wine as a pleasing, well-rounded Spanish wine. I have to admit I found it a pleasing, well-rounded piece of crap! Although it presented some vibrant fruit on the nose and some acidity on the palate, it was too earthy and all over the place when tasting. Not one I would recommend.

With that being said, I am off to plan my garden and see what plants I can find to get things started. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment